Emerald (Panna) GemstoneNavneet Agarwal
Emerald is a green colored, highly precious gemstone of the Beryl mineral family. It is one of the most reputed gemstones in vedic astrology worn for success in businesses & jobs, creative or intellectual pursuits and knowledge seeking ventures.
Who should wear?
Emerald (meaning Panna) represents planet Mercury. Vedic astrology recommends wearing this gemstone to emerge out of negative influences caused by a weaker Mercury in a person’s horoscope.
- Indian astrology assigns Panna ratna for Mithun (Gemini) and Kanya (Virgo) rashi.
- Western astrology recommends emerald birthstone for Cancer.
- Ascendants of Taurus, Libra, Capricorn and Aquarius can also wear emerald.
How to wear Panna stone?
|Carat Weight||Minimum 1/12th of the body weight. E.g. a person weighing 60 kgs, can wear a 5-carat emerald ratna.|
|Color||For best astrological results, bright green emerald is recommended. Alternatively, natural untreated emerald in lighter shades can also be worn.|
|Metal||Gold is highly recommended. In exceptional cases, panchdhaatu, platinum, white gold and silver can also be used.|
|Finger||Ring finger or little finger of the working hand.|
|Day & Time||Wednesday, after sunrise is the best time.|
|Mantra & Chanting Times||‘Om Budhaya Namah’, ॐ बुधाय नमः | (108 Times)|
Emerald (Panna) Benefits
World-over, emerald is worn as a fashionable jewel stone. However, in eastern countries, it is the astrological significance that makes this gemstone popular. It is also known as Pachu stone, Markat Mani, Parnaya and Budh ratna in India and Smaragdos in Greek.
Ideal for Financial, Intellectual and Creative Ventures
– Since Mercury rules intelligence, Panna rashi ratan is trusted to improve wearer’s comprehension, reasoning and memory skills. Astrologers thus highly recommend wearing Panna for people working in finance, banking, book keeping, share market trading etc. As well as for people engaged in creative ventures.
Refined Oration & Communication
– Mercury is regarded as the Vaani-karaka in vedic astrology. Therefore, people suffering from speech related issues and low confidence can benefit hugely from Panna and perform better in their social and professional lives. Needless to say, panna benefits people working in PR, Media or Mass Communication related roles, the most.
Relaxed mind, improved senses and calm skin
– It is believed that wearing a Emerald stone benefits individuals suffering from ear, eye and skin related ailments. Panna as rashi ratan is also highly useful in treating certain allergies and nervous disorders.
Even being a fairly expensive gemstone, emerald remains high in demand in national and international markets. Panna prices begin from ₹ 800 ($12.30 ) and may go as high as ₹ 2 lakh ($3076) per carat, depending on the origin, clarity, color and size of the gemstone.
– Owing to superior color quality, Colombian Emerald price range in India stretches much beyond than other origins, costing the buyer anywhere between ₹ 3,200 to ₹ 2 Lakh per carat ($49.23 to $3076). Zambian emeralds are quite popular as well and can draw between ₹ 2,700 and ₹ 1.5 Lakh per carat ($41.5 to $ 2307.69). Brazilian emeralds are relatively more affordable.
– In emeralds, the rule goes as brighter and greener is the color, higher is its price in market. However, too much iron (found in some varieties) can cause a bluish tint and decrease the value of emerald gemstone in the market. Since, majority of emeralds from Colombia are vividly saturated and display a fine balance between green and blue, colombian emerald price per carat remains higher than other origins.
– Emeralds are graded as ‘Type III’ on clarity indicators, implying almost every piece will have some degree of inclusions. Thus, panna cost increases drastically for stones without visible inclusions. Zambian emerald price per carat fares higher than other origins on account of relatively better clarity.
– Cutting a gemstone can increase its cost by up to 20% because of the stone wastage incurred in the process. A heavily faceted emerald will cost more than a round or oval emerald.
– Least and yet reflective, carat weight can influence panna or pachu stone price especially when size and clarity co-exist on the same scale. Since, emeralds are fairly included, finding an emerald above a few carats with eye-clean clarity is highly rare. Likewise its price will reflect its rarity. On the other hand, a high carat emerald with dull green color will be cheaper than a smaller one displaying bright, greenish-blue tone.
– Certain treatments like oiling are acceptable in emeralds. An emerald treated with hard epoxy-like resins is less valuable than the ones treated with safer colorless oiling.
1 Ratti = .91 Carats
Understanding natural properties and market dynamics around the gemstone can help the buyer to select a piece that can fulfill his astrological and financial conditions. Before you buy emerald online or from trusted dealers, following parameters can be looked upon to choose the best possible emerald option.
– Panna mines have been discovered in Colombia, Zambia, Brazil, Russia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, United States and Australia. Being highly saturated and perfectly balanced in green and blue tints, Colombian emeralds are the considered to be superior than other origins, followed by Zambian emeralds. Brazilian emeralds are dark and thus less desirable.
– Color of emerald weighs pretty much above every other quality factor. Value of emerald increases further if it is richly saturated and consistently colored. Natural emeralds from Colombia are considered to be of the finest color quality.
– Emeralds are known for containing three phase inclusions – solid crystals, liquid films and gaseous bubbles, found less or more in almost all origins. Inclusions in emeralds from Chivor mine in Colombia often exist as pyrite, albite and needle like growth tubes. Zambian emeralds contain black dot like specks and are usually color-zoned. An eye clean emerald with bright-green color is highly rare and thus is exceptionally expensive.
Uniqueness (Trapiche Emerald)
– A rather rare and unique variety known as Trapiche emerald is found in Colombia and Brazil. Trapiche or Star Emeralds are unique in their display of impurities appearing in a six-pointed, star like radial fashion. In addition, ‘Chatoyancy or Cat’s eye’ effect displayed by this gemstone, positions it as one of the most rare and majestic gemstones. Like other varieties, Traphice emeralds can also be synthesized in labs as well as treated with oil and epoxy resins.